Skiing has been good, but limited. Unfortunately rain is in the forecast and with the thin snow things could get bad.
I got to see a local solar house. The owners who also built it did some extra insulation but mostly it was focused on big windows, heat mass, solar panels and photovoltaics; whereas my interest is on heat retention. I did get to meet a local person who is very passionate and knowledgeable about energy saving stuff, so she will be a great resource, and even volunteered to review my plans. She has the equipment to do whole house blower tests that helps find air leaks.
I talked to the house designer and the cost of building my house is frightening, I have to talk to some contractors and maybe rethink it’s scale. It bugged me, the potential expense and having to scale back, but I reminded myself how well off I am compared to most everybody else on the planet. I am conflicted about having stuff, about not having a relationship, about the spiritual side of this transient life. The path is not clear. I’ve been reading Krishnamurti and he says “The truth has no path.” Now that really leaves me groundless. I’m also way too cerebral, I think :-) in my contemplations.
Now that I think on it, Buddhism both talks about the “eight fold path” and philosophizes on the ultimate ‘undesignation’ of all concepts (as in the Diamond Sutra), so ultimately there is no path, there is no truth. That’s what it would have to say if it is to believe it’s various sutra’s are a self-consistent whole. I was talking to fellow seeker on the phone a few days back on this kind of stuff. He’s an astute student of Buddhist thought, and yet says he doesn’t get it, as I don’t, this attempt at saying the ineffable exists but cannot be pointed to or explained. And yet, I think, there it is, everything that can’t be understood by the mundane mind, that can’t be expressed in the simplistic tools of language and abstract conceptual thinking which can only understand objects, qualities, and actions. It’s not unlike the discussion of quantum mechanics, which can describe aggregate, statistical behavior but cannot identify its finite or discreet components, or even know if they exist at all. This kind of stuff leads me to think that there is indeed something outside our understanding, something well beyond comprehension. To say it is God is to conjecture a designate object, a wholly inadequate apprehension, I believe, a means to make the ego comfortable. To look for it in particle physics is an exercise in futility as the mind will always ask, if you find the most elementary particle, then what is it made of? Moreover, there is no reason for the universe to exist, there’s nothing that explains it’s presence, or that can make any sense out of saying it is bounded, outside of which it does not exist. It leads to the same question as in particle physics, in this case, if the universe does not exist outside its bounds, what is it that is outside its bounds?
There’s a Paul Simon song with the verse
Homeless, homeless
Moonlight sleeping on a midnight lake
Homeless, homeless
Moonlight sleeping on a midnight lake
We are homeless, we are homeless
The moonlight sleeping on a midnight lake
And we are homeless, homeless, homeless
The moonlight sleeping on a midnight lake
That might be about as smart as we can get.
No comments:
Post a Comment