Do we not all have one father?
Has not one God created us?
Why do we deal treacherously each against his brother
so as to profane the covenant of our fathers?
- Malachi 2:10-11 Graffiti on the wall in Abu Dis
I took this from a chapter opening in Sari Nusseibeh's Once Upon a Country. I myself am not a theist, but God or no God, I believe we owe it to our forebears, our children, and ourselves to recognize our common humanity, and to act to the benefit of humanity.
Yet don't take that to mean that I am going to Israel and Palestine with a mission or a desire to own the situation. At least it is my intention to avoid a passionate stance. Of course, as a human being with thoughts and feelings, my sentiments will sway or maybe even lean in one direction. We shall see!
No comments:
Post a Comment