28 Nov 2013 - Thanksgivukah
I was on my own for turkey with a menorah day. I had a bento box-like vegan meal from Whole Foods to enjoy. I had it for breakfast, and then I took off for Valley of Fire state park. It is so named because of the red rock colors. (It's not the same place a s Red Rock Canyon.)
One side loop road goes right by this natural arch. It's about 10 to 15 feet high, I'd guess.
A half mile hiking trail takes one to Mouse's tank. A native American apparently by the name of Mouse would hide out from the law here since he had a water supply. It had rained quite a bit a few days earlier so I suspect it was pretty full.
Just a shot of some rock formation with many eroded holes in it.
On that same trail to Muse's Tank there were some really neat petroglyphs. The culture that did these was lost, and thus the meaning of some of these glyphs too.
The wikipedia article has some good photos. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valley_of_Fire_State_Park
BTW please support wikipedia; it's the most useful thing on the Web and has no ads. This time of year they run a donation campaign. Lots of small amounts really add up for them. It's crowdsourcing for a site that precede's the word crowdsourcing.
1 comment:
The rock formations and the petroglyphs are cool.
I remember seeing Egyptian hieroglyphs for the first time (at the Met in NYC, I think). They felt so alien to me at the time, but they seemed to make more sense in Egypt itself. Not sure why.
See you Saturday.
Post a Comment