Why did I wait so long to come out? Jim S asked this question with a grinning kind of emoticon, but you know, it’s worth a serious answer. It’s certainly a question I have asked myself. As well, this is tied to the question, why did I finally act on this? Here are some things that address those questions:
1. I had too strong a need to be sure that I am indeed gay. I like certainty. While I know that life really doesn’t provide certainty, I get stuck grasping for it. Just in the last week I turned that around to “I want to be gay”. That doesn’t mean I’ve gotten carried away with being merely gay-curious, but rather, that I recognize the yearning in me to be who I am, and to now use that as a force for acceptance and coming out. Yes I was in a conventional marriage and so I could be seen to be bisexual, but it’s not a concept that feels to me to be a good fit. I have said that I am gender neutral, but when I look at my behaviors and what I am attracted to - stimulation is orientation, it is said - I’m just gay with a lesser dose of uncertainty. I’m sure straight folk have uncertainty too.
2. I have a longing to be normal. I wasn’t embracing who I am. I wanted a better looking body, but there’s no changing that. I wanted to be more socially skilled, but it’s just not my personality. That’s not a gay specific need, but it speaks to my wanting to be normal. The antidote for that is to understand that gay is normal.
3. I feared I would lose a sense of self, sort of like I would extinguish myself. In throwing off one image, albeit confused, and donning another - what would I become? It’s like entering a strange forest with no paths. It is today, right now, as I write this. That’s OK - life is uncertain, unpredictable, and ultimately groundless. Paths are not laid out for us; paths are made by walking and that’s what I have to do now. (BTW the self comes under a different microscope in Buddhism, but that’s not a discussion for here.)
4. I wasn’t being true to myself. As Polonius said to Laertes:
This above all: to thine own self be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man.
I thus wasn’t being true to those who know me and love me either. It was time to change that.
I will probably come up with more observations on this later, but that’s a pretty good list for now.
1 comment:
Nov 2024: This is all pretty dated thinking, I'd write it differently now
Post a Comment