In The Hundred Thousand Songs of Milarepa, his student Rechungpa is gaining Realization and says (emphasis added) (chapter 23)
In the ... realm of Samsara and Nirvana
Sentient beings and Buddha are to me the same;
And so I neither hope nor yearn for Buddhahood.
At this moment, all my sufferings have become a pleasure.
This is my understanding of Enlightenment,
No longer feel I shame before enlightened beings.
I am struck by that phrase that I have italicized. For me at least I have identified, and cataloged, my sufferings. I have identified with them, developed an identity of which they are a part. This my fixation on this phrase.
At first I had a notion of the statement, that by a process of acceptance his sufferings became pleasures. That might be a functional and productive approach, it might be a good start. But I forgot that this was a Realization on Rechungpa's part, and I'm retaining the capital R from the text because it is not a common realization but the result of much hard practice on Rechugpa's part.
I want to say it is deeper, but giving it dimension is a poor and misleading attempt to describes it's quality. Even if I experienced it, I could not describe it.
Mind and it's henchman, language, want us to make things solid. Giving dimension, or some other quality of form, to what I can best describe as abstract and formless misdirects the reader, the thinker, and the doer (the practitioner). Language wants us to name things and in doing so make them solid.
Time to drink tea.
No comments:
Post a Comment